Chocolate Gingerbread Cake with Orange-Scented Whipped Cream



Ok friends, you are in for a treat today. Last night, when I should have been sleeping, I was restlessly lying in my bed thinking about this cake. Orange, ginger, and chocolate. Seriously, this is a magical combination! I love gingerbread, but combining it with chocolate?! I couldn't wait to try it. As I developed the recipe for the cake I noticed a basket of oranges sitting on the counter, and it struck me that orange zest in the whipped cream atop the cake would be heavenly. Oh was I right! My heart was leaping at the idea of tasting this delicious dessert as it was baking. Upon tasting the first bite, I realized my restlessness had not been in vain; it was so tasty.



In addition, this is not your typical over-the-top rich kind of cake. Although it is a dessert, and should be eaten in moderation, it is healthier and more nourishing than the average cake. I used only natural sweeteners, along with freshly ground whole wheat flour to add more nutrients. If you do not have a grain mill at home, I suggest using unbleached white flour, as store-bought wheat flour tends to be bitter. I also used non-homogenized, and not ultra-pasteurized, whipping cream to make the whipped cream, because it contains more of the beneficial "good stuff" for our bodies. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I did!



Chocolate Ginger Bread Cake with Orange Scented Whipped Cream

For the Cake:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
2 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger

2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

3/4 cup full-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and butter and flour a 9-inch bundt pan. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, honey, and molasses. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Stir in the vanilla and ginger. In a medium bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients together; fold into butter mixture. Once combined, stir in the milks, and beat at medium high speed for two minutes. Scrape batter into prepared pan, and bake for 45-50 minutes, until tester inserted comes out clean, and cake springs back slightly when touched.

For the Whipped Cream:
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
zest of one orange
honey to taste (I think I used about 1 1/2 Tbsp.)

Whip all ingredients together and place a generous amount atop each piece of cake. Go sit down, relax, and enjoy while you indulge in the moment.

With Love,
~Angie











1 comment:

  1. Angie,

    What an informative blog with lovely photos! The pictures visually tell the story of the words you have written. It's obvious that you are passionate about food.

    The apple chips are already on my radar to try, but the chocolate gingerbread looks scrumptious too. I look forward to stopping by and seeing what else you post!

    Break a leg!
    :-), B--

    P.S. BTW, as a former high school English & communications teacher, I find this to be a fascinating assignment too!

    ReplyDelete