Eggs for Dinner: Frittata with Roasted Tomatoes, Onions, Spinach, and Feta





Eggs have to be one of my favorite last-minute dinner options because, well, they are fast and simple. No fat to trim, no bones to de-bone, no extra time to marinate... you get the idea. You simply crack the thing, and proceed with dinner. Because I was getting a late start on my Monday night dinner duty, eggs seemed to be the ideal option for me. Within twenty minutes, I had two crust-less ham and cheese quiches in the oven, and nestled underneath were some cherry tomatoes, sizzling as they roasted. This dinner was beginning to take shape. All I needed to do now was come up with a vegetable dish to serve along with the quiche and something to do with my succulent roasted tomatoes.

A quick look in the refrigerator solved my dilemma. A caesar salad would be perfect to serve along side my quiche, but a quick look at some fresh spinach and feta cheese and I couldn't resist. I had to make a frittata too. To me, the combination of spinach and feta is glorious on its own, but combine it with roasted tomatoes and caramelized onions in a soft bedding of bakes eggs, and it would be a win kind of night.







To Roast the Tomatoes:

1 pint of cherry tomatoes
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a baking dish and roast at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes, until tomatoes have burst, and start to brown lightly.









For the Frittata:

1 small onion
1 Tbsp. olive oil
A handful of roasted tomatoes
2/3 cup chopped spinach
1/2 Tbsp. butter
1-3 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
3 eggs
2 Tbsp. whipping cream
salt, pepper, fresh herbs and seasonings of your choice (I use LOTS of Italian seasonings)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a small saute pan, cook the onions in olive oil over medium-low heat until they begin to caramelize. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, whipping cream, and seasonings and set aside. Next, add the tomatoes and spinach to the onions, and coat the sides of the pan with the butter, so that your frittata does not stick to the pan. Gently pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, and sprinkle the cheese over top. By now, the eggs should have set on the bottom, so that the edges don't jiggle. Now, place the frittata in the oven and bake just until the center is set, about 8-12 minutes. Once set, loose around the edges with a spatula, and serve immediately.



One last note. After several years of wanting to upgrade to an SLR camera, I finally did. Oh my, am I happy that I did! It will probably take me all year to figure out how to use it, but I am so eager and excited to learn. I want to thank my amazing Grandpa, who took the time to help me do the research, figure out exactly what to get, and go shopping with me. I am so blessed to have such an incredible man in my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment